Mumin Blog

37 Dead Including Bus Driver In Genting Tragedy


KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 21 (Bernama) — Thirty-seven people were killed while 16 others were injured after a bus with 53 people on board plunged into 6O-metre deep ravine at KM3.5 from Genting Highlands Wednesday.
The dead were 27 men and 10 women, said Fire and Rescue Department principal assistant director (Operations) Datuk Soiman Jahid.
According to police, among the dead were Bangladesh, Thailand and China nationals.
The injured including those reported critical are being treated at the Selayang Hospital (eight), Kuala Lumpur Hospital (five), Sungai Buloh Hospital and Bentong Hospital two each.

The 2.45pm accident happened when the ill-fated bus coming down the hill resort and heading here was descending a steep slope.
Fire and Rescue Department principal assistant director (Operations) Datuk Soiman Jahid said the dead victims (as of 8pm) comprised 18 men and 12 women.
However, their nationalities had yet to be established, he said, adding that the search and rescue operation would continue until all victims were found.
“We will use a K9 (dog) unit to find victims who might have been flung off the bus to ensure no one is left behind,” he said.
He said 450 search and rescue (SAR) personnel among others from his department, the Police and the Civil Defence Department were involved in the SAR operation.
Sixteen other passengers who were injured were sent to several hospitals with some reported to be critical.
The Selayang Hospital received eight of the victims while the Sungai Buloh Hospital and Bentong Hospital two each.
Soiman said the cause of the accident had yet to be determined and that they had yet to interview witnesses.
“But the descent was very steep and if the bus was not controlled well it could have skidded and plunged into the ravine. This is the initial assessment of the rescue team,” he said.
Sultan Ahmad Shah of Pahang, Pahang Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob and Bentong MP Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai were also at the disaster location.

Meanwhile, Kuala Lumpur Hospital Emergency and Trauma Department head Datuk Seri Dr Abu Hassan Assari Abdullah told a press conference all the victims who were critical and treated at HKL were reported to be stable. He said so far 20 bodies had been brought to HKL and 10 more (bodies) were on the way. The victims included Bangladesh and Thai nationals.

Following is the list of victims receiving treatment at HKL:

1. Wong Teraphong, 63 – Thailand

2. Ali Haider Syed Haider, 46 – Bangladesh

3. Saidah, 19 – Malaysia

4. Razif, 26 – Malaysia

5. Tan Ming Shing, 26 – Malaysia

Following is the list of victims receiving treatment at the Selayang Hospital:

1. Raawnok Arefin, 14 – Bangladesh

2. Nur Syamimi Ja’afar, 25 – Malaysia

3. Nur Fathiah Ja’afar, 21 – Malaysia

4. Rashidah Buyah, 50 – Bangladesh

5. Andri Purwadi, 25 – Indonesia

6. Nurul Quraitul Aini, 19 – Malaysia

7. Rezyan Arefin, 24 – Bangladesh

8. Nur Fridil Gusman, 23 – Indonesia

— BERNAMA

0 responses so far ↓

  • There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

Leave a Comment